I missed the post last week, so this week’s list is really really long! I recommend you try and at least browse the full list because you don’t want to miss some of the goodies mixed up in the large crowd!
But before we get to the list of papers it is definitely worth mentioning the release of the Interim report for the BRAIN project! You can snag the 58 page pdf here or just read about it here. I can’t help but show two of the lists mentioned:
First “themes have already emerged that should become core principles for the NIH BRAIN Initiative” :
- Use appropriate experimental system and models
- Cross boundaries in interdisciplinary collaborations
- Integrate spatial and temporal scales
- Establish platforms for sharing data
- Validate and disseminate technology
- Consider ethical implications of neuroscience research
and second the “nine research areas are identified as high-priority“:
- Generate a Census of Cell Types.
- Create Structural Maps of the Brain.
- Develop New Large-Scale Network Recording Capabilities.
- Develop A Suite of Tools for Circuit Manipulation.
- Link Neuronal Activity to Behavior.
- Integrate Theory, Modeling, Statistics, and Computation with Experimentation.
- Delineate Mechanisms Underlying Human Imaging Technologies.
- Create Mechanisms to Enable Collection of Human Data.
- Disseminate Knowledge and Training.
It makes quite the laundry list.
As another aside before the main paper list, here are two random papers that caught my attention:
Metabolic rate and body size are linked with perception of temporal information Kevin Healy, Luke McNally, Graeme D. Ruxton, Natalie Cooper, Andrew L. Jackson ; Animal Behaviour 2013 (link)
- when reading about this paper I couldn’t help but think about that part in Honey I Shrunk the Kids where the character Nick is worried that when they were shrunk they could be experiencing time smaller as well, so what felt like minutes to them was actually days or even years in the normal sized world 😛
Isolation of a Diatom Frustule Fragment From the Lower Stratosphere (22-27Km)-Evidence For a Cosmic Origin Milton Wainwright, Christopher E. Rose, Alexander J. Baker , Briston, K.J and N. Chandra Wickramasinghe ; Journal of Cosmology 2013 (link)
- The authors of this paper think their findings give direct evidence for life arriving on earth from outer-space.. no big deal.. just proof that aliens exist… nothing to see here..
Ok, now finally on to the lengthy list of papers:
1) Social reward requires coordinated activity of nucleus accumbens oxytocin and serotonin Gul Dolen, Ayeh Darvishzadeh, Kee Wui Huang & Robert C. Malenka ; Nature 2013i (link)
2) A Cortico-Hippocampal Learning Rule Shapes Inhibitory Microcircuit Activity to Enhance Hippocampal Information Flow Jayeeta Basu, Kalyan V. Srinivas, Stephanie K. Cheung, Hiroki Taniguchi, Z. Josh Huang, and Steven A. Siegelbaum ; Neuron 2013 (link)
3) Inhibitory Gradient along the Dorsoventral Axis in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex Prateep Beed, Anja Gundlfinger, Sophie Schneiderbauer, Jie Song, Claudia Bohm, Andrea Burgalossi, Michael Brecht, Imre Vida, and Dietmar Schmitz ; Neuron 2013 (link)
4) Tet1 Is Critical for Neuronal Activity-Regulated Gene Expression and Memory Extinction Andrii Rudenko, Meelad M. Dawlaty, Jinsoo Seo, Albert W. Cheng, Jia Meng, Thuc Le, Kym F. Faull, Rudolf Jaenisch, and Li-Huei Tsai ; Neuron 2013 (link)
5) Cellular Resolution Functional Imaging in Behaving Rats Using Voluntary Head Restraint Benjamin B. Scott, Carlos D. Brody, and David W. Tank ; Neuron 2013 (link)
- If you get a chance check out the supplementary movie. Pretty amazing watching the whole thing in action.
6) An illusion predicted by V1 population activity implicates cortical topography in shape perception Melchi M Michel, Yuzhi Chen, Wilson S Geisler & Eyal Seidemann ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
7) The touchscreen operant platform for testing working memory and pattern separation in rats and mice Charlotte A Oomen, Martha Hvoslef-Eide, Christopher J Heath, Adam C Mar, Alexa E Horner, Timothy J Bussey & Lisa M Saksida ; Nature Protocols 2013 (link)
8) The touchscreen operant platform for testing learning and memory in rats and mice Alexa E Horner, Christopher J Heath, Martha Hvoslef-Eide, Brianne A Kent, Chi Hun Kim, Simon R O Nilsson, Johan Alsiö, Charlotte A Oomen, Andrew Holmes, Lisa M Saksida & Timothy J Bussey ; Nature Protocols 2013 (link)
9) The touchscreen operant platform for assessing executive function in rats and mice Adam C Mar, Alexa E Horner, Simon R O Nilsson, Johan Alsiö, Brianne A Kent, Chi Hun Kim, Andrew Holmes, Lisa M Saksida & Timothy J Bussey ; Nature Protocols 2013 (link)
10) From cortical modules to memories David C Rowland and May-Britt Moser ; Current Opinion in Neurobiology 2013 (link)
11) Interplay of Hippocampus and Prefrontal Cortex in Memory Alison R. Preston and Howard Eichenbaum ; Current Biology 2013 (link)
12) Hippocampal neurogenesis and forgetting Paul W. Frankland, Stefan Kohler, and Sheena A. Josselyn ; Trends in Neuroscience 2013 (link)
13) Expanding the primate body schema in sensorimotor cortex by virtual touches of an avatar Solaiman Shokur, Joseph E. O’Doherty, Jesse A. Winans, Hannes Bleuler, Mikhail A. Lebedev, and Miguel A. L. Nicolelis ; PNAS 2013 (link)
- I’m a huge sucker for all of Miguel Nicolelis’s work and this paper is no exception. Pretty amazing!
14) Network structure and dynamics of the mental workspace Alexander Schlegel, Peter J. Kohler, Sergey V. Fogelson, Prescott Alexander, Dedeepya Konuthul, and Peter Ulric Tse ; PNAS 2013 (link)
15) Stress affects theta activity in limbic networks and impairs novelty- induced exploration and familiarization Luis Jacinto, Joana Reis, Nuno Dias, João J Cerqueira, José Higino Correia and Nuno Sousa ; Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 2013 (link)
16) Cortico-cortical communication dynamics Per E Roland, Claus C Hilgetag and Gustavo Deco ; Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 2013 (link)
17) Internal operations in the hippocampus: single cell and ensemble temporal coding George Dragoi ; Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience 2013 (link)
18) Remodeling Sensory Cortical Maps Implants Specific Behavioral Memory K. M. Bieszczad, A. A. Miasnikov and N. M. Weinberger ; Neuroscience 2013 (link)
19) Extrasynaptic GABAA Receptors Couple Presynaptic Activity to Postsynaptic Inhibition in the Somatosensory Thalamus Murray B. Herd, Adam R. Brown, Jeremy J. Lambert, and Delia Belelli ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
20) Transgenically Targeted Rabies Virus Demonstrates a Major Monosynaptic Projection from Hippocampal Area CA2 to Medial Entorhinal Layer II Neurons David C. Rowland, Aldis P. Weible, Ian R. Wickersham, Haiyan Wu, Mark Mayford, Menno P. Witter, and Clifford G. Kentros ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
- This appears to be a pretty impressive finding!
21) Human Cortical Theta during Free Exploration Encodes Space and Predicts Subsequent Memory Joseph Snider, Markus Plank, Gary Lynch, Eric Halgren, and Howard Poizner ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
22) Transgene Expression in Target-Defined Neuron Populations Mediated by Retrograde Infection with Adeno-Associated Viral Vectors Markus Rothermel, Daniela Brunert, Christine Zabawa, Marta Díaz-Quesada, and Matt Wachowiak ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
23) Synaptic Input Correlations Leading to Membrane Potential Decorrelation of Spontaneous Activity in Cortex Michael Graupner and Alex D. Reyes ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
24) Inhibiting Subthalamic D5 Receptor Constitutive Activity Alleviates Abnormal Electrical Activity and Reverses Motor Impairment in a Rat Model of Parkinson’s Disease Jonathan Chetrit, Anne Taupignon, Lionel Froux, Stephanie Morin, Rabia Bouali-Benazzouz, Frederic Naudet, Nabila Kadiri, Christian E. Gross, Bernard Bioulac, and Abdelhamid Benazzouz ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
25) Interacting Linear and Nonlinear Characteristics Produce Population Coding Asymmetries between ON and OFF Cells in the Retina Zachary Nichols, Sheila Nirenberg, and Jonathan Victor ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
26) Emergence of Sensory Patterns during Sleep Highlights Differential Dynamics of REM and Non-REM Sleep Stages Michal Ramot, Lior Fisch, Ido Davidesco, Michal Harel, Svetlana Kipervasser, Fani Andelman, Miri Y. Neufeld, Uri Kramer, Itzhak Fried, and Rafael Malach ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
27) Dynamic Tuning of Electrical and Chemical Synaptic Transmission in a Network of Motion Coding Retinal Neurons Stuart Trenholm, Amanda J. McLaughlin, David J. Schwab, and Gautam B. Awatramani ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
28) Repetition Suppression and Multi-Voxel Pattern Similarity Differentially Track Implicit and Explicit Visual Memory Emily J. Ward, Marvin M. Chun, and Brice A. Kuhl ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
29) Ontogeny of Excitatory Spinal Neurons Processing Distinct Somatic Sensory Modalities Yi Xu, Claudia Lopes, Hagen Wende, Zhen Guo, Leping Cheng, Carmen Birchmeier, and Qiufu Ma ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
30) Subthalamic Nucleus Local Field Potential Activity during the Eriksen Flanker Task Reveals a Novel Role for Theta Phase during Conflict Monitoring Baltazar Zavala, John-Stuart Brittain, Ned Jenkinson, Keyoumars Ashkan, Thomas Foltynie, Patricia Limousin, Ludvic Zrinzo, Alexander L. Green, Tipu Aziz, Kareem Zaghloul, and Peter Brown ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
31) Informational Basis of Sensory Adaptation: Entropy and Single-Spike Efficiency in Rat Barrel Cortex Mehdi Adibi, Colin W. G. Clifford, and Ehsan Arabzadeh ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
32) Laminar profile of visual response properties in ferret superior colliculus Iain Stitt, Edgar Galindo-Leon, Florian Pieper, Gerhard Engler and Andreas K. Engel ; J Neurophysiology 2013 (link)
33) Directional information from neuronal ensembles in the primate orofacial sensorimotor cortex F. I. Arce, J.-C. Lee, C. F. Ross, B. J. Sessle and N. G. Hatsopoulos ; J Neurophysiology 2013 (link)
and last but not least in this long list for this week….
34) Optogenetics through windows on the brain in the nonhuman primate Octavio Ruiz, Brian R. Lustig, Jonathan J. Nassi, Ali Cetin, John H. Reynolds, Thomas D. Albright, Edward M. Callaway, Gene R. Stoner and Anna W. Roe ; J Neurophysiology 2013 (link)