I have mentioned this blog before, but I really liked the last two posts over at Nucleus Ambiguous. The first is an update/commentary on the BRAIN Inititative. I think Nucamb has provided some of the best coverage and commentary available on the BRAIN Initiative. The second is about the current state of affairs in science publishing, which is a topic I find very important and interesting.
Now some papers to dive into!
1) The importance of mixed selectivity in complex cognitive tasks Mattia Rigotti, Omri Barak, Melissa R. Warden, Xiao-Jing Wang, Nathaniel D. Daw, Earl K. Miller & Stefano Fusi ; Nature 2013 (link)
2) A functional and perceptual signature of the second visual area in primates Jeremy Freeman, Corey M Ziemba, David J Heeger, Eero P Simoncelli & J Anthony Movshon ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
3) Olfactory cortical neurons read out a relative time code in the olfactory bulb Rafi Haddad, Anne Lanjuin, Linda Madisen, Hongkui Zeng, Venkatesh N Murthy & Naoshige Uchida ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
4) Synaptic mechanisms of adaptation and sensitization in the retina Anton Nikolaev, Kin-Mei Leung, Benjamin Odermatt & Leon Lagnado ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
5) Activity-dependent silencing reveals functionally distinct itch-generating sensory neurons David P Roberson, Sagi Gudes, Jared M Sprague, Haley A W Patoski, Victoria K Robson, Felix Blasl, Bo Duan, Seog Bae Oh, Bruce P Bean, Qiufu Ma, Alexander M Binshtok & Clifford J Woolf ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
6) Fiber-optic two-photon optogenetic stimulation K. Dhakal, L. Gu, B. Black, S. K. Mohanty ; Optics Letters 2013 (link)
7) Holographic optogenetic stimulation of patterned neuronal activity for vision restoration Inna Reutsky-Gefen, Lior Golan, Nairouz Farah, Adi Schejter, Limor Tsur, Inbar Brosh & Shy Shoham ; Nature Communications 2013 (link)
8) 350-μm side-view optical probe for imaging the murine brain in vivo from the cortex to the hypothalamus Jun Ki Kim ; Jin Woo Choi ; Seok Hyun Yun ; J. Biomed Opt 2013 (link)
9) Spatiotemporal dynamics of neuronal population response in the primary visual cortex Douglas Zhou, Aaditya V. Rangan, David W. McLaughlin, and David Cai ; PNAS 2013 (link)
10) A monocular contribution to stimulus rivalry Jan Brascamp, Hansem Sohn, Sang-Hun Lee, and Randolph Blake ; PNAS 2013 (link)
11) Mapping and Cracking Sensorimotor Circuits in Genetic Model Organisms Damon A. Clark, Limor Freifeld, and Thomas R. Clandinin ; Neuron 2013 (link)
12) Monkey Area MT Latencies to Speed Changes Depend on Attention and Correlate with Behavioral Reaction Times F. Orlando Galashan, Hanna C. Saßen, Andreas K. Kreiter, and Detlef Wegener ; Neuron 2013 (link)
13) Homeostatic Control of Synaptic Transmission by Distinct Glutamate Receptors Dan Yan, Miwako Yamasaki, Christoph Straub, Masahiko Watanabe, and Susumu Tomita ; Neuron 2013 (link)
14) Attention-Induced Variance and Noise Correlation Reduction in Macaque V1 Is Mediated by NMDA Receptors Jose L. Herrero, Marc A. Gieselmann, Mehdi Sanayei, and Alexander Thiele ; Neuron 2013 (link)
15) Interval Tuning in the Primate Medial Premotor Cortex as a General Timing Mechanism Hugo Merchant, Oswaldo Pe ́rez, Wilbert Zarco, and Jorge Ga ́mez ; J Neuroscience 2013 (link)
16) Long-Term Enhancement of Brain Function and Cognition Using Cognitive Training and Brain Stimulation Albert Snowball, Ilias Tachtsidis, Tudor Popescu, Jacqueline Thompson, Margarete Delazer, Laura Zamarian, Tingting Zhu, and Roi Cohen Kadosh ; Current Biology 2013 (link)
- This paper gained some attention across the internet. Here is one neat article about it.
17) The Cells and Circuitry for Itch Responses in Mice Santosh K. Mishra, Mark A. Hoon ; Science 2013 (link)
18) Changes in Taste Neurons Support the Emergence of an Adaptive Behavior in Cockroaches Ayako Wada-Katsumata, Jules Silverman, Coby Schal ; Science 2013 (link)