1. Perceiving invisible light through a somatosensory cortical prosthesis Eric E. Thomson, Rafael Carra,w & Miguel A.L. Nicolelis ; Nature Communications 2013 (link)
I was lucky enough to see Eric Thomson present this work at the Barrels meeting before SFN last year and I thought it was great! I have to admit I am a big fan Miguel Nicolelis and I really enjoyed his book Beyond Boundaries (I recommend checking it out).
My favorite part of Eric’s presentation was of course the movies he showed. Although it is a minor detail I loved how the frequency of the electrical stimulation (which is proportional to the intensity of the infrared light) is presented in the movies as tones with increasing frequency. It’s really neat hearing what the rat is “feeling” as it zones in on the location of the reward.
Definitely check out the supplementary movies posted on this news article here.
2. Membrane potential dynamics of grid cells Cristina Domnisoru, Amina A. Kinkhabwala & David W. Tank ; Nature 2013 (link)
3. Cellular mechanisms of spatial navigation in the medial entorhinal cortex Christoph Schmidt-Hieber & Michael Häusser ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
I am eager to read the two papers listed above this weekend because at first glance they seem to be reporting on the same thing. I always enjoy the opportunity to compare results in papers!
4. Long-term dynamics of CA1 hippocampal place codes Yaniv Ziv , Laurie D Burns , Eric D Cocker , Elizabeth O Hamel, Kunal K Ghosh, Lacey J Kitch, Abbas El Gamal & Mark J Schnitzer ; Nature Neuroscience 2013 (link)
At first glance I was really excited about this paper. While I have to admit I was a little let down by some of the things this paper is lacking, it is just a “brief communication” so I’ll just have to wait for the next big report on what they find using this exciting method.
Also my advisor suggested I read this Kentros et al. 2004 Neuron paper which reported on the same question. I thought this was a great paper and was very grateful for the recommendation!
5. Terminal effects of optogenetic stimulation on dopamine dynamics in rat striatum Caroline E. Bass, Valentina P. Grinevich, Alexandra D. Kulikova, Keith D Bonin, Evgeny A. Budygin ; Journal of Neuroscience Methods 2013 (link)
6. Feature Extraction using First and Second Derivative Extrema (FSDE), for Real-time and Hardware-Efficient Spike Sorting Sivylla E. Paraskevopoulou, Deren Y. Barsakcioglu, Mohammed R. Saberi, Amir Eftekhar, Timothy G. Constandinou ; Journal of Neuroscience Methods 2013 (link)
7. Synaptic Cooperativity Regulates Persistent Network Activity in Neocortex Morgana Favero and Manuel A. Castro-Alamancos ; Journal of Neuroscience 2013 (link)
8. Tracking the Course of Hippocampal Representations during Learning: When Is the Map Required? Lesley A. Schimanski, Peter Lipa, and Carol A. Barnes ; Journal of Neuroscience 2013 (link)
9. Source Memory in the Rat Jonathon D. Crystal, Wesley T. Alford, Wenyi Zhou, and Andrea G. Hohmann ; Current Biology 2013 (link)
10. Medial Entorhinal Grid Cells and Head Direction Cells Rotate with a T-Maze More Often During Less Recently Experienced Rotations Kishan Gupta, Nathan J. Beer, Lauren A. Keller and Michael E. Hasselmo ; Cerebral Cortex 2013 (link)
6 out of the 10 papers for this week are hippocampus related. Of course this is mostly a reflection of where my interests are, but I also think this was just a weird coincidence i.e. it was a slow week in other areas.